Here is my list of Stinkers 2008, games I'd rather have skipped and saved my money and time. Not all are 2008 releases, obviously.
In no particular order:
- Devil May Cry 4 (PS3) - I gave up after I vanquished the giant frog boss with glowing lesbian nymphs antennae. Pretty game, but crap otherwise.
- Assassin's Creed (PS3) - Replacing Metroid Prime as my go-to insomnia cure. Boring and washed out.
- Mercenaries 2 (PS3) - The original was GTA in a warzone -- and fun. This was just stupid.
- Mirror's Edge (PS3) - Clever mechanic but needlessly unpleasant. Focus on the fun, next time. (review)
- LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy (PSP) - People really enjoyed this? And people griped that Prince of Persia was repetitive. Sheesh.
- NovaStrike (PS3) - As pedestrian as a top-down shooter can get. But it has trophies!
- PixelJunk Eden (PS3) - Fertilizing abstract flowers is more work than fun.
- Twisted Metal: Head On Extra Twisted Edition (PS2) - High production values, but ultimately no fun. Watch the lost cut-scenes on YouTube and save your dough.
- Hotel Dusk: Room 215 (NDS) - Yawn.
- The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (NDS) - My annual "try to like Zelda games" fling. After a brief honeymoon I realized how long of a slog it would be to finish, how repetitive the dungeons seemed, and how much I wanted to spend my time elsewhere.
- Tomb Raider: Underworld (PS3) - I debated about whether to put this one on the list, but I think it was a grand disappointment. Shows promise, but that's not enough. (review)
Admitting that I'm doing the selfish move and making it all about me, man, this, more than anything I've read in a long time, lets me know that I'm simply not a gamer anymore.
My Stinkers list is, um, well, um, well... I think my year in review list only includes playing Guitar Hero and Rock Band in stores and a few minutes of NCAA 2009. Sheesh. Games new to me stop at Guitar Hero 3 and a few DS games Matt lent me.
Well, at least it makes it easy to avoid this list. I did get Pangea Arcade recently. Guess I should try it out.