27 May 2008
Invisiclues were awesome
Why don't today's games have in-game hint systems? Hard to believe it's beyond the capabilities of the programmers.

And, not to give away the evil ideas, but why not sell an in-game guide as DLC over Xbox Live Marketplace or the PlayStation Store? For a modest (and I mean modest) price, it might be worth it not to have to get up from my comfy chair, truck two feet to the computer, and fire up GameFAQs.

Labels: ,

That's one of the things I love about the Sony systems: I can drop the game and fire up GameFaqs when I like. I keep bookmarks to the FAQs for the game I'm playing.

It would be made infinitely easier with in-game XMB (both on the PSP, which is unlikely, and PS3, which is - still - "coming soon") but it's still very nice to have... now if only we can get some decent municiple WiFi in Scranton. ;^)

By Blogger Jim, at 27 May, 2008 22:06

I loved invisiclues!!

Of course...I um, never had to use them.

By Blogger Alex, at 28 May, 2008 12:14

You can visit GameFaqs also on the Wii and on the PSP.

Speaking of Wii: Zack & Wiki has an in-game hint System. Even a pretty solid one.

By Blogger Krystian Majewski, at 28 May, 2008 12:18

A Nintendo Wii game with an innovation? Unpossible!

That said...I'll add this to my (ever longer) list of reasons to pick up a Wii. (The biggest reason, fwiw, is that my elder son keeps asking "when are we getting a Wii?")

By Blogger jvm, at 28 May, 2008 12:23

my elder son keeps asking "when are we getting a Wii?"

At least once during each Saturday morning cartoon session, I try to get a good, "We want a Wii!" chant going.

By Blogger ruffin, at 28 May, 2008 13:27

Professor Layton,The Golden Compass, and Advance Wars: Days of Ruin featured in-game hint systems as well. I think this may be an emerging trend as developers begin to realize that gamefaqs is typically of higher quality and more um, free than hint guides.

By Blogger Ken, at 28 May, 2008 19:59

ken: Did not know. (And...who the heck is playing The Golden Compass? By all accounts...poop!)

ruffin: The kid is smart. When we're out at the game stores, he brings me Wii games that he thinks I would like or (more likely) that he and I could play together. Scary.

By Blogger jvm, at 28 May, 2008 21:15

Telltale's Sam & Max games have a fairly cool hint system. In the options screen before a game is begun, the player is asked what difficulty he'd like. The easier the difficulty, the more, and earlier, in-game characters will pipe up with hint suggestions.

By Blogger JohnH, at 28 May, 2008 22:08