20 December 2007
UT3 PS3 can't download mods directly: true
But this isn't news, despite complaints by Penny Arcade and now Kotaku:
FileFront has the download and installation instructions, which, curiously, point out that removable storage of some sort is required for import. Whether it be compact flash, Memory Stick or simply a USB thumb drive, it seems one can't simply download to the PS3's built-in mass storage via the internet browser. What's up with that?
Believe it or not, this was known almost a full month ago. I remembered reading it today after Mike sent me the Penny Arcade link. Read it:
What we do to finalize it, make sure it makes the most efficient use of memory, and runs the fastest, is we bake it down to the PS3 version, but that's just like saving a file in Word in a different format. If you save it on a PlayStation 3 format, you can stick it on the Internet, and someone can download it, put it on a memory card [USB drive, memory stick], and import it into their PlayStation 3 version of the game. That works really well.
Awkward? Yes. Should it have been fixed before launch? Of course. Sony needs to fix it ASAP. I recall having trouble downloading themes directly from the PS3 browser too. And remember, this is the same outfit that hasn't gotten movie downloads online yet and can't seem to make an online PSP storefront that doesn't involve another machine (Windows PC or PS3).

But, hey, free fricking mods and levels, people. For all the kvetching we see over paid downloadable content, isn't free better, even if it takes a tiny bit of elbow grease? Jeepers.

And, no, that's not Free. It's free.

Labels: , , , ,

"Sony needs to fix it ASAP"
This is an Epic Game?

"I recall having trouble downloading themes directly from the PS3 browser too."

Works fine for me, I downloaded a bunch from the neogaf thread.

By Blogger Zachary, at 20 December, 2007 23:59

If the problem is how the browser handles filetypes, then...yes...a Sony problem? No?

By Blogger jvm, at 21 December, 2007 00:01

It might be Sony's problem technically .... but it certainly should be a major concern. This could be a wildly valuable distinction for the PS3 and dropping the ball on it is a huge mistake.

Were I Sony .... I would have leveraged this to make sure a mod friendly framework could be done easily on more titles.

As a long time modder, I'm fairly disappointed by this. It limits the number of the installed user base and raises the barrier of entry overall. Having been in several forum fights about the complexity of installs ... this is bad.

But I do agree that it is at least a step in the right direction and will take steps in that direction.

By Blogger Josh, at 21 December, 2007 17:45

By Blogger Josh, at 21 December, 2007 17:45

Good for consoles no matter how you slice it. The fact remains that consoles have taken a long time to break out and do what should have been technically possible years ago. Every time a console does something it moves the bar just a bit more down the field. It is frustrating when things do not work out as smoothly as we expect, but look at it this way Sony usually promises and then delivers very little, the fact that its works at all even if it needs a work around is HUGE.

Overall Sony is leaping forward when you look in terms of their own online service. The difference in attitude from PS2 to PS3 is dramatic and the difference between this time last year and today is a huge leap for them as well. What PSN will be in another year will likely be another leap to the point where PSN 2006 and PSN 2008 will be totally different experiences. Will it be perfect? No. But, I’ll settle for less then perfect if “better” is the eventual outcome

By Blogger MonkeyKing1969, at 26 December, 2007 13:11

It's only free if your time is worth nothing.

More complexity for end-user in the console experience == bad.

By Blogger Michael, at 28 December, 2007 12:42