18 October 2007
And now you've got 3 cents, Sony
Tonight Sony started offering David Jaffe's Calling All Cars games on PSN for only $4.99. I'd been considering buying it for a while, so I took the plunge. When it comes time to pay, I use my credit card to pay and...what's this? I can only put money on my account in round dollar amounts?

See, everything you can buy on PSN has a price that ends in 99 cents. Previously, when I'd purchased games, I'd been able to charge the exact cost. So last week I paid precisely $9.99 for Everyday Shooter. Perfect. Zero balance.

Now I've paid $5.00 into my PSN account and spent $4.99. That one penny is going to sit there and I won't be able to use it until I've bought 98 other items and the pennies add up. ARGH!

Labels: , , ,

This is where you say something about how you can't demo the games on the PSN network but you can on XBLA.

By Blogger Michael, at 19 October, 2007 14:45

Yes, that should stop. Sony needs to have whole dollar amounts for items. If they want it under $10 the solution is simple make the item $9. Then again at least it is not like gasoline where the price isn't 3.15 it is $3.1595 which is really $3.16 when you pay.

By Blogger MonkeyKing1969, at 20 October, 2007 11:13

Anything over $5 you should be able to charge the exact amount to your credit card. From what I know most credit card companies wont allow you to charge less than $5. Don't complain to sony complain to your credit card company. They'll probably tell you that charging less than $5 won't make them any profit from the sale.

By Blogger, at 20 October, 2007 13:19

WoW this is the stupidest thing I've seen in a while.... CONSIDERING A 4.99 GAME AFTER TAX IS GOING TO BE 5.39!!!!! AND A 5.00 WOULD BE 5.40 AFTER TAX!

By Blogger phillip, at 20 October, 2007 13:54

I'm fairly certain that I paid the exact amount ($2.99) for the medium-difficulty Sudoku puzzles on PSN. So, again, it's a change from the previous system, regardless of the justification.

By Blogger jvm, at 20 October, 2007 15:30

If you think that's bad, you need to take a look at Nintendo's point system. I have a whole dollar (or, erm... 100 "points") tied up that I can't use (or get back, naturally) without spending more money.

One Nintendo point is worth one US cent. Nintendo allows "points" to be purchased in increments no smaller than 1000. But most of what they offer costs non-multiples of that, such as 600, 800, or 1200 points. There are a bunch of NES titles at 500 points each, but that still means you have to buy at least two (or waste five bucks) and as soon as you buy something at a different amount, you end up with leftover on the scale of dollars, rather than a few pennies. I may have lost a buck, but I've been refusing to by anymore unless they change their policy.

This is something I've been pissed about for quite some time, and I'm not very pleased to see Sony doing this too, but I would consider Sony's system to at least be an improvement.

By Blogger Abscissa, at 22 October, 2007 12:52