09 September 2007
PS3 Compatibility of My PS2 Library
To follow up on my post about how well my PS1 library will play on a PS3, here are the results with the 90 games in my PS2 library, which you can check out at MobyGames. The 60Gb wins.
For the 60Gb:
84 games work just fine (93%)
2 have video corruption (2D movies)
1 has graphics corruption (2D or 3D game graphics)
1 has some sort of audio problem (corrupted audio)
1 has a fatal hang
1 doesn't work with some sort of extra hardware
That works out to 89 out of 90, or 98.9%, being playable with minor inconvenient issues on a 60Gb PS3.

The results for the software emulation of PS2 games...
For the 80Gb:
50 games work just fine (57%)
7 have video corruption (2D movies)
12 have graphics corruption (2D or 3D graphics)
12 have a fatal hang
1 doesn't work with some sort of extra hardware
5 have speed problems (running slowly)
1 doesn't work online
1 is not in Sony's database
That works out to 76 out of 90, or 84%, which are documented playable with minor inconvenient issues.

Here are the graphs:
I intend to keep my old PS2 around, so most or all of these games should be available to play on that system even when they don't work on a PS3. Still, for out of the box compatibility the 60Gb really seems like the system to get. We'll see how well MonkeyKing's feelings about the software emulation pan out...

Labels: , , , , , ,

Are you comparing the games yourself, or are you using the compatibility list provided a few posts ago?

Compatibility lists aren't always trustworthy, as people have different standards of what is an issue. Some issues may go unnoticed even if seen. Others may be present, but never encountered (like freezing under certain conditions or perhaps located under something optional.)

By Blogger Baines, at 09 September, 2007 01:49

I'm using the compatibility list. Sony had a good record, in my experience, finding out which PS1 games didn't work on the PS2 and then later was on top of things with regard to which PS2 games wouldn't work on their redesigned PS2 hardware. I don't see any reason not to give them similar credit here.

That said, I've heard of groups making their own compatibility lists. If you know of one, perhaps I can compare what Sony says about my games with what they say...

By Blogger jvm, at 09 September, 2007 09:06

which were the games that didn't work?

By Blogger Daedalus, at 10 September, 2007 18:17

Daedalus:

For 60Gb PS3, the fatal hang is Indigo Prophecy (which doesn't work on either version of the PS3).

For 80Gb PS3, the fatal hangs are Black, DMC3SE, Document of MGS2, Driv3r, Indigo Prophecy, Parappa 2, SOCOM II, SSX, SSX On Tour, Stuntman, Taito Legends, Tenchu: Fatal Shadows.

Hope that helps.

By Blogger jvm, at 10 September, 2007 21:01

Boy, Parappa 2 is no loss at all, but you'd think they could get at least the initial, launch-title (iirc; bought it with my PS2 bundle) SSX working with the software. Wonder what the hangup is.

By Blogger rufbo, at 10 September, 2007 21:07

You fools are ALL missing the point. The reasons hanging on to your PS2 to play PS2 games doesn't make sense is because you get HD lag from the TV's scaler. Don't believe me? Try it. Play a 2D fighter on your fancy 1080p TV on a PS2 running at 480i/p. You won't be able to. If a PS3 was running it (PS3 scaling to 1080p) it would run properly (without display lag) and you can actually play it. Just try it.

By Blogger Tommy v2, at 11 September, 2007 06:06

By Blogger Tommy v2, at 11 September, 2007 06:08

Science and empirical evidence wins the day...hip hip hazza! I am actually quite please it worked out that way given I have a 60GB unit. Although, I suppose with updates the could improve the 80GB hit rate, but that outcome hangs in mere potential not in reality.

By Blogger MonkeyKing1969, at 11 September, 2007 19:19