11 July 2007
Too much E3
Another sign I'm getting old: I've overdosed reading details of press conferences and watching trailers of videogames at E3 and it's only been going on for 24 hours. Yuck.

The things that mattered most to me:
  • Metal Gear Solid 4 within a year
  • Silent Hill 5 teaser with music that reminds me of Silent Hill and Silent Hill 2
  • PlayStation 3 60Gb with hardware PS2 is now $500 (looking to buy one soonish)
  • Infamous, new game from Sucker Punch
  • Unreal Tournament III -- with mod support -- timed console exclusive for PS3
  • Uncharted: Drake's Fortune could be good
  • Little Big Planet -- watch
Killzone 2 did look nice, and impressively similar to the notorious E3 2005 trailer, but I'm less interested in first-person shooters than I used to be.

Didn't hear anything interesting about the PS2, although it's still getting more games in the next year than the PSP. Crazy.

Haven't heard a single thing for the Nintendo DS that interests me. I'll look around more later.

Still waiting on something for me on the Wii. Umbrella Chronicles is close, and apparently Wii RE4 is the best version, but that's not enough for me yet.

I'll let the other curmudgeons post their own takes of what they've seen.

Me? I'm going to read a book and work on other things.

Labels:

Did you catch the videos for "Echochrome"?

A simple little diversion game that seems "different" (maybe borrowing some ideas from Exit, I suppose).

By Blogger Dan, at 12 July, 2007 12:45

What's the deal with PS3s' PS2 emu? I'm behind -- are there any that do software now, or was that just in the pipe? (har)

By Blogger rufbo, at 12 July, 2007 12:47

Rufbo -- I think the UK PS3s are all using software emulation, and the announced 80G in the US will use software emulation as well. I have no idea on how well it's working, though.

Also, in my post I accidentally said "Exit" when I meant to say "Crush"

By Blogger Dan, at 12 July, 2007 12:51

The software emulator seems passable, but I'd like as much compatibility as possible. So I'm hoping that the hardware PS2 offers the best of two worlds: software emulation where possible and hardware when needed for difficult games.

Dan: Looking at Echochrome now. Thanks.

By Blogger jvm, at 12 July, 2007 13:03

Random follow-up. Apparently, Echochrome is based on some sort of experimental game that you can download here:

The project is basically just like the video of the game, but it appears to be just an editor and doesn't have any "levels" that I could find.

By Blogger Dan, at 12 July, 2007 23:30