24 July 2007
NPD fun while on vacation
Over the grumbling of family, I stopped my vacation for a few hours and worked on the NPD data released yesterday. The results are up at Gamasutra today. I hope I'll have more time in future months -- there were some things I didn't get to do this time around.

As usual, comments are welcome.

Labels: , ,

Interesting that PS3 sales seem to be steady if slow. It not like it doesn't sell at all and infact it seems snug at that 20K-21K level. Not to be a downer, but why is Wii selling? It really isn't pushing out much software for either established gamers on the new casual gamers, so to what do you attribute sales other then it being hot to have it? But sales are sales I suppose.

By Blogger MonkeyKing1969, at 24 July, 2007 16:16

MonkeyKing: I have no idea why the Wii is selling. Other than the two Resident Evil titles, it has nothing I really want to spend money on. My brother (cgm) has one...perhaps he'll pipe up. I know Ruffin (rufbo) enjoyed Wii Sports bowling when he tried it out, but I'm not sure how he felt about investing in a Wii for himself.

Frankly, the Xbox 360 and PS3 are more interesting, and the Xbox 360 is currently getting really decent software support. Ace Combat 6 and BioShock on the Xbox 360? Those exclusives frustrate me.

For what it's worth, I've tried not to let my personal opinions on the three systems and the handhelds seep into these pieces for Gamasutra. If you think you see some, let me know. I tried to put all systems on the graphs this time, as requested previously.

By Blogger jvm, at 24 July, 2007 21:12

After spending $100 on a video card and $50 on a DS, Ruffin is broke, Wii appeal or no. This is to say that I was never in the market (unf.) for a new console.

Why is a Wii selling? I'm guessing most consumers are, for whatever reasons, (esp. parents, I'd bet) more interested in buying something inexpensive, and the Wii has managed to be perceived as cooler than the rest. Personally, that I skipped the GameCube makes the Wii that much more attractive, but that's just me.

I'm totally in the dark, but what does the PS3 have that's a must buy? Xbox 360? If we've three consoles with no real must-buys, it appears the gimmick/coolest wins out.

By Blogger rufbo, at 25 July, 2007 16:00

If I were an Xbox 360 owner I'd be very excited about Ace Combat 6 and BioShock. I'd also enjoy having Space Giraffe (Jeff Minter's latest, exclusive to XBLA) and some of the other XBLA stuff.

On the PS3, I'd want Resistance, PSOne/PSP downloads. In the future Half-life 2+TF2+Portal and MGS4 and possible GTA4.

I'm sure there are others. That's off the top of my head

By Blogger jvm, at 25 July, 2007 21:11

The Wii was a nice addition to the family, but the shine wore off early. I did not finish Zelda, but I plan to. Wii Sports was fun, but I think that it requires more people. I don't even remember if Wii Sports has an online component, but if it did, that could be a ton of fun. My main complaint is that I am just not interested in the titles that are out for the Wii.

By Blogger cgm, at 25 July, 2007 21:55

I'm confused about your math. In the Gamasutra article you say that it looks like Wii sales are dipping on a weekly basis, and you track that by saying May is a four-week month and June a five-week month. May has thirty-one days; June has thirty. That means May is four weeks plus three days; June is four weeks plus two days. Would you explain how that makes June have one more week than May?

By Blogger Daniel, at 26 July, 2007 08:06

I cannot answer that but just quickly flipping back show June had five weekends (Fri & Sat) and May only had four. I'm not expert of consumer habits but an extra Fri & Sat would in my mind confer a bit more shopping days to a month.

I could be wrong and I’m not strongly defending this idea I’m not tossing it on the walling to see what sticks.

By Blogger MonkeyKing1969, at 26 July, 2007 12:06

Daniel: They're not my weeks. NPD sets the dates between which they've collected data. For May it was 6 May to 2 June. For June it was 3 June to 7 July. That's four and five weeks, respectively, IIRC. March and January were the other five week months, again IIRC.

By Blogger jvm, at 26 July, 2007 18:31