10 April 2007
One-handed gaming
It's not what you think.

I sliced up my hand while sharpening a knife and cut two tendons to my left thumb, one completely and the other about 20%. I've had surgery to repair them, and I'm expected to get full functionality back in a couple of months, but until then I'm not going to be doing much console gaming. Provided all goes well, I expect to reward myself with a play through Tomb Raider Anniversary sometime in June. (PS2 or PSP? Jury's still out on that one...)

My options for gaming in the near term, as I see them:
  • Stylus-only games on the Nintendo DS like Elite Beat Agents and Brain Age.
  • Light gun games like Area 51 (PSOne), Virtua Cop (Saturn), and The House of the Dead (Saturn). Also I now have a good reason to buy a GunCon to go with my copy of Time Crisis and a copy of The House of the Dead 2 to go with my Dreamcast light gun.
  • Keyboard games like Angband that I can theoretically play with my right hand.
  • Paddle-only games using this Atari Direct-to-TV device I picked up recently.
If you have other suggestions, especially for the light gun games or stylus-only DS games, let me know. In the meantime, I'll probably continue to post commentary here as my hand permits.

Labels:

Bad karma from disagreeing with rms? Naw, couldn't be... :p

Anyway, I recommend Kirby: Canvas Curse as a stylus-only DS game. Fun and unique.

There's also Animal Crossing: Wild World. It allows buttons, but can be played entirely with the stylus. Can be addictive, but I tired of it after a few months and haven't been able to bring myself to get back into it.

May you get better as expected; One-Handed Curmudgeon Gamer doesn't have the same ring...

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11 April, 2007 00:22

Holy ouch.

Of course all the Torque/C++ I was playing with was designed to be played only with a mouse, and of course I didn't finish any of it :(

Might be some Flash and Wii games however. Can't think of a better reason to splurge on a Wii ...

AC: WW is indeed far more addictive than it might seem. I think Hotel Dusk can be played largely with a stylus as well.

Heal well.

By Blogger Josh, at 11 April, 2007 07:31

Puzzle Quest! Can't think of a game I'd rather play on the DS right now.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11 April, 2007 08:41

Everyone seems to be high on Peggle lately.

I assume that Sexy Beach 3 was probably designed to be played one handed.

You could probably bust out some of those classic trackball equipped games. Rampart would be good. Golden Tee?

Then you've got the clickarific PC ARPGs like Diablo and Titan Quest.

By Blogger Jeremy, at 11 April, 2007 08:59

There are plenty of DS games to keep you busy, but remember the "one-handed RPG controller" from the original Playstation? Plenty of onanistic jokes surrounding its release, of course. You might be able to find one used at Gamestop for ~$5.

Here's a list of similar devices, including a PS2 version.

By Blogger Flojo Mojo, at 11 April, 2007 08:59

Thanks for the kind thoughts and suggestions. Looks like I have some DS shopping to do.

Flojo: Awesome! I had no idea anyone made these. I'm going to grab one of these controllers after I think about which PSOne/PS2 games I can play with them.

Jeremy: I do have Diablo 2 to play...is that really playable just with a mouse? It's been a year since I had it out, and I only got two days with it at the time.

By Blogger jvm, at 11 April, 2007 11:43

Yeah, you can play it with just a mouse. There are hotkeys but you don't need them.

I'd also assume that you probably have enough dexterity in your leftern three fingers to manipulate a modifier key (CTRL, ALT, SHIFT). You don't NEED those though.

By Blogger Jeremy, at 11 April, 2007 13:46

Didn't Privateer also have a mouse-only command setup?

By Blogger Josh, at 11 April, 2007 18:39

If Privateer can be played mouse only, that's an awfully good reason to fire up DOSbox. I've got a CD of it around somewhere, waiting for me to finish. Pretty good Elite update, all things considered, from my limited experience with it.

By Blogger rufbo, at 11 April, 2007 19:14

Adding: Final Fantasy III DS and Zookeeper DS are both stylus-only.

By Blogger jvm, at 11 April, 2007 19:19

You've got Final Fantasy 6, Diablo, and Privateer.

What else do you need? You're set for the apocalypse here.

By Blogger Jeremy, at 12 April, 2007 07:12

jvm: more touch the dead:

By Blogger Zachary, at 18 April, 2007 23:01

I remember Earthbound for the SNES allowed you to play with one hand.

By Anonymous GBGames, at 20 April, 2007 11:27