14 February 2007
Time to bring Star Wars: The Arcade Game to the Wii
If I understand correctly, the Wii controller can detect rotational motion. Perhaps that makes it the perfect console for a port of Star Wars: The Arcade Game. Each previous port, along with the disappointing official emulation on the GameCube, suffered from inadequate approximation of the original game's control yoke.I'm guessing the PS3's SIXAXIS controller might be capable of doing something similar, but since Nintendo has traditionally gotten these types of Star Wars games, I figure it's the obvious candidate.

Labels:

wow without a doubt, the Wii controller really blows down the door to some awesome possibilities!

LucasArts has been really really coy since the Wii controller announcement about a Jedi Lightsaber game, but it would be absolutely ridiculous if they DIDN'T make one.

"Cover me Porkins."
"I'm right behind you Red-2."

By Blogger Wazoo, at 15 February, 2007 01:00

Fuck Nintendo, fuck the Wii and fuck all the fanboys who think the Wii is perfect for every fucking game ever made.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 15 February, 2007 11:21

Red Steel notes if you turn the remote onto its side, for choosing to shoot "Gangsta"-style.

Excitetruck steers by holding the controller NES-style and treating it like a steering wheel.

So it can detect some rotational movement, but I've no idea how much on any one axis. 90 degrees? 180? A full 360?

By Anonymous Baines, at 15 February, 2007 18:36

I'm not so sure that Will will get so many exclusive Star Wars games in the future, since those were made by Factor 5, who made some well-regarded sound libraries for the N64, and whose management has said recent unkind things about Wii in the press.

By Blogger JohnH, at 16 February, 2007 15:04

Was thinking the same thing, but who needs a wii - just get a wii remote, a bluetooth dongle and a copy of MAME running on the old PC :)

As for me I've just ordered a Gyroscopic pad from e-dimensional as it sounds a little less fiddly...

If it's crap I'll try the wii

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10 March, 2007 05:57

Okay, G-Pad arrived yesterday.

Bottom line - forget it :( It's just not accurate enough for crosshair use.

Basically once you're out of the centre position the crosshair jiggles around something chronic, and it isn't just Starwars. Even in the windows calibration/test screen the result is the same :(

Shame really, otherwsie it felt like a real alternative for the yoke - maybe once they fine tune the wii code, or maybe when a PC adapter comes out for the PS3 controller we'll be in business.

Regards