12 February 2007
15% crap or 38% crap?
I hope to get more time going over the stats later today, but at first glance I was bothered by this statement in's latest entry in the TOP 100 TOP 100 LISTS OF ALL TIME.
It also shows that consumers know quality when they see it. Only three games in the top 20 scored an average of less than 75%.
Ok, so that's 15% are below average. What about the whole list of 100 games? Well, 38 games (i.e. 38%) are below average. That's a big difference and a far bit from convincing me that consumers know quality when they see it.

Labels: , ,

You know what's interesting?

This list doesn't have World of Warcraft or any Sims games on it.

I thought those were the big, evergreen franchises of the PC world. How is it possible that neither of them managed to shift 200,000 units in 2006?

Seems that something is amis here.

By Blogger Jeremy, at 12 February, 2007 09:42

They explain that in the introductory text. Neither WoW nor a Sims game was released in 2006.

By Blogger Damian, at 12 February, 2007 11:25

I thought the Pets expansion to Sims 2 streeted this past year.

I also have sensed a kind of growing level of Wow attention in the big wide world, so I kind of figured that it would have been moving units throughout the year...

Would be interesting to see the sales curve on something like Burning Crusade. Maybe after 3 weeks, they've moved 99% of all the units that they're going to?

Just interesting because my sense is that in the console world, mega-titles continue to sell as new customers purchase consoles. Oblivion met 1 million sales pretty early in it's cycle, but they're showing 1.4 million over the year, which indicates that it still moved 400,000 units (not a shabby figure, most games would gladly take that in total, since it's past the bandied about break even point for next-gen) in the tail portion of it's life.

By Blogger Jeremy, at 12 February, 2007 12:35

More detail on Oblivion:

Gamespot reported 1.7 million units shipped by April 17, 2006:

And in their recent press release for Shivering Isles, Bethesda claimed that they had passed 3 million units:

Getting 1.7 shipped to shops within weeks shows strong demand at retail, and then having 1.3 million move over the remainder of the year is a massive accomplishment.

A lot that must be rolling out in new territories etc, but it's shocking to me that Wow didn't move 200,000 units even late in its life.

By Blogger Jeremy, at 12 February, 2007 12:41

I nearly cried when I saw Okami only made #100. Sure, it only came out in August, but it still had the whole holiday season.

There has to be a better way of graphing this. Maybe a scatter plot of review scores vs. sales. Hmm, maybe I'll do that...

By Blogger Stefan, at 12 February, 2007 17:12

Stefan: I have that graph already. I'm posting it now.

By Blogger jvm, at 12 February, 2007 18:54

jeremy -- I believe damian's comment answers your third post as well. WoW may have moved 200k units, but it's not 2006 and therefore doesn't show up.

And boy, I bet it'd still be showing up now. What's the price of The Burning Crusade? $40 if you've got WoW, $40+$19.99 if ya' ain't.

By Blogger rufbo, at 13 February, 2007 13:28