23 November 2006
jvm's Xmas List '06
At home visiting family, we've been chatting about gift ideas. I'm hoping some of these will show up under the tree this year. They are ordered roughly by my level of interest. I feel confident that I've left some things out, so please feel free to make suggestions.
  1. Guitar Hero with guitar (PS2)
  2. Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP)
  3. Every Extend Extra (PSP)
  4. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (DS)
  5. Sega Genesis Collection (PSP AND PS2...curse you Sega!)
  6. Brain Age (DS)
  7. Field Commander (PSP)
  8. Electroplankton (DS)
  9. Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast (PSP)
  10. Capcom Classics Collection Remix (PSP, not Capcom Collection Reloaded)
  11. Zone of Enders: 2nd Runner (PS2)
  12. EA Replay (PSP)
Budget games, no ordering implied:
  • God of War (PS2)
  • SSX Tricky (PS2)
  • Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)
  • Prince of Persia: Sands of Time (PS2, neither Warrior Within nor Two Thrones)
  • Trapt (PS2)
  • Max Payne (GBA)
My list of "To Get" games for the PSOne is too large for this space. It's just insane how long the list gets when you want to build a library. I keep a rough list of wanted games on MobyGames here.

Is Final Fantasy III DS worth getting? I'd like a nice RPG to play on the DS or PSP, and this is the only one that seemed reasonable.

I have left off imports, since I doubt any of my family reading this intend to import Alien Hominid or Payback (both GBA) from Europe (among other games) for me. If I'm wrong, email me.

Speaking of GBA, I was pulling up a blank on new GBA games that are worth getting. What am I missing?

Be warned that guitar hero is best enjoyed multiplayer.

I often find myself putting it on just to kick around, and getting bored within 2 songs just because there's nobody to compete against =).

Nice list though, and apparently the new GBA game Yggdra Union is pretty decent.

I would also recommend you pick up Osu Tatakae Ouendan, if you are into rythm games at all. I haven't played Elite Beat Agents yet, but I somehow doubt I will enjoy generic american pop music more than all the wacky j-pop on Ouendan.

By Anonymous Adrian, at 24 November, 2006 03:22

Be warned that Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel is a horrible game.

It's the only PC-to-console game I deeply regret buying; while Deus Ex: Invisible Wars and Thief: Dealdy Shadows were poor in comparison to their prequels, F:BoS is the worst game that has ever touched my Xbox (and I don't believe the PS2 version is any better).

Stay away from it.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 24 November, 2006 08:33

Anon: Thanks. I was under the impression it was ok but not dreadful. I've certainly got plenty of other games to put on the list, so I'll swap it out and buy the game cheaply with my own money some other time.

By Blogger jvm, at 24 November, 2006 08:58

Valkyrie Profile Lenneth on the psp is an excellent and extremely original RPG. Supposedly Bounty Hounds is good too, and I'm sure I'll get a copy eventually.

By Blogger Zachary, at 24 November, 2006 13:27

I'm eight hours into FFIII on the DS and enjoying it immensely. It has all the trappings of an older turn-based RPG title with a very solid presentation. So far I haven't needed to do any grinding and the gameplay systems are very similar anybody who has played pre-FFVII titles.

If you need an RPG on the go and don't want to go with any of the excellent GBA strategy RPGs, then FFIII is a good choice.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 24 November, 2006 15:26

feel free to add something good to my newly christened wii library.

By Blogger cgm, at 24 November, 2006 22:58

cgm: Sure will, as soon as the Wii has any games worth owning. ;^)

everyone else: Thanks for the comments. I'm refining the list I'm giving to my wife and parents based on the suggestions here. Looks like I should have put Syphon Filter (PSP) on my list.

By Blogger jvm, at 24 November, 2006 23:05

If you care about emulation quality, you probably don't want Sega Genesis Collection.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 25 November, 2006 00:40

Attempt #2 at above link:

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 25 November, 2006 00:41

Definitely include Syphon Filter PSP - I just got it and it's far more fun than any previous entry in the series. The reviews calling it "the best game on the PSP" are not exaggerating.

By Anonymous Crusader, at 25 November, 2006 10:14

It's not Xmas, it's Christmas. Don't bow to political correctness. If "political correctness" becomes politically incorrect you won't be able to say that either. Then what can you say? Doubleplusungood.

By Anonymous Jesus, at 25 November, 2006 17:28

Gee, thanks a lot Linus.

For the record, the "X" in "Xmas" is an abbreviation for Christ derived from the Greek letters for his name and which use long predates the term Xmas. It is not an attempt to extract him from the inescapable, guilt-ridden, ruthlessly-capitalistic holiday season we all know and lo(v|ath)e. If it were, I have no doubt he would approve.

If usage of the term "Xmas" WERE a concerted attempt to remove him from the holiday, then the replacing of "Christ" with "X" would be so transparent an attempt at it that the people responsible would have to be idiots -- which I'm sure the people out there attempting to rouse over the matter would love their rabble to believe.

(Personally, I prefer the term "Jebusmas.")

By Blogger JohnH, at 25 November, 2006 17:55

OMG!!! /|\aX P4yn3 R0X0r5!!! 1ts g0t \|/1ck3d gfX and 1s0m37r1c. 1 15 g0/\//\/a g37s m3 a c0py \|/h3/\/ 1 g375 ma m0/\/3y. Ch3ck 17 0wt, 1 luv u /|\aX.

Pl33ze 574/\/d uP.