15 October 2006
Unexpected connection: Rampage and The Movie Monster Game
One of my favorite Commodore 64 games was The Movie Monster Game by Epyx. Basically you are a movie monster, for example Godzilla (the real licensed deal), and you fight other monsters, destroy the defending human army, knock down buildings, and so forth. The original is tons of fun, and Incog's regrettable The War of the Monsters for the PlayStation 2 missed a golden opportunity to bring that idea to modern audiences.

I also enjoy the classic arcade game Rampage, which shares some of the big monster destruction theme of Movie Monster, but ultimately find it far less interesting. Regardless, I own it for several systems, including a recently acquired version for the Atari Lynx.

When I fired up Rampage on my Lynx, I was surprised to find that the title screen music for it is a remix of the title theme for The Movie Monster Game. I figured I had something mixed up, so I fired up The Movie Monster Game just to be sure, and I was right.

I've put up some samples so you can listen for yourself:

The Movie Monster Game for Commodore 64: ogg mp3
Rampage for Atari Lynx: ogg mp3

The original music appears to be for The Movie Monster Game and was composed by Bob Vieira. The version of this theme in Rampage for the Lynx is credited to Vieira and Alex Rudis.

This is mostly due to the fact that the Lynx was developed by Epyx and most of the first wave of software was prots of Epyx titles. When Atari purchased the project from Epyx, a bunch o games were retitled to match Atari properties, or licenses were added to avoid copyright infringement for others.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 15 October, 2006 12:47

Epyx (I think?) also had an earlier game called "Crush, Crumble and Chomp" in the same vein, but with less wow factor.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 15 October, 2006 17:43

There's also a similar C64 game which had ingame (well, at least in-loading-screen) advertising:

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 16 October, 2006 07:15

I've been hoping for years for someone to do a game in the vein of "Crush, Crumble and Chomp" subtitled "The Movie Monster Game".

There is an independent publisher working on one that I can't wait to play - "They Came from Hollywood" which can be found over at www.theycamefromhollywood.com, now if they would just finish it my gaming happiness would be complete.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 16 October, 2006 17:22

I was pretty disappointed in War of the Monsters too. It was way too fast paced and relied far too much on using environmentally based weapons, such as flinging tv towers at your opponents.

Godzilla Destroy All Monsters for the Cube got the weight and movement right for skyscraper sized monsters duking it out. I presume the numerous sequels played about the same.

By Blogger BruceC, at 17 October, 2006 17:53

BruceC: Right on. The combat in WotM was dreadful. It is frustrating to impale the enemies with a radio tower, but the enemy can hit you with laser-sight precision. Argh.

I'd've enjoyed a monster-vs-city game a bit more, I think, and it wouldn't've been difficult to add to WotM...

By Blogger jvm, at 17 October, 2006 18:23

Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee does a good job of getting the weight and movement right for guys in rubber suits fighting in a cardboard city with special effects. Which is presumably what they were aiming for, the feel of a Godzilla movie.

Fun for two-player, but 3/4-player melee becomes a mess. Particularly since they were so lazy when it came to modes, options, and certain design issues.

War of the Monsters looked fun...

By Anonymous Baines, at 18 October, 2006 02:50

Well, Baines is right. GDAMM matched my -conception- of what giant monsters fighting in a city should look like, which is wholly influenced by cheesy old movies and nothing like the laws of physics would dictate.

I wouldn't say either game was better, they were just cast from two entirely differently shaped molds. One very fast paced, one more slow and deliberate. Your individual taste would have to guide you to your favorite.

By Blogger BruceC, at 18 October, 2006 13:58

I just stumbled upon the "They Came From Hollywood 'game'". I can't believe the people designing this "game" is still saying that it will be coming out. I found this trailer that they did way back in May 2003. It looks great and I would love to play the game but holding your breath for over 5 years? Wow. Here's the link to download the trailer:

By Blogger Richard, at 11 July, 2008 16:01