23 October 2006
Third sold-out system this holiday: Nintendo DS
When the November Bloodbath begins and Nintendo and Sony are sold out of their respective consoles, the Nintendo DS will be the primary beneficiary, along with the PlayStation 2. While supplies of the PlayStation 2 are probably robust enough to withstand the buying frenzy, I suspect the Nintendo DS will be impossible to find in mid-December.

I guess I should go ahead and get mine now. Is the new Castlevania out yet?

Just get the old Castlevania DS to tide you over. Its excellent!

By Anonymous Boraxplunder, at 24 October, 2006 11:47

What are you basing this prediction on, a hunch? Though I suppose through careful manipulation of supply, Nintendo could suck a few extra bones outta consumers with a DS shortage, I'm not so sure that's the plan. And if it's not, I have to wonder if they'd be caught unawares on the supply-side for Xmas. I doubt Apple will [intentionally] get caught in a similar siutation with the iPod, as an example -- again with the one caveat of a managed supply shortage for publicity.

By Blogger rufbo, at 25 October, 2006 12:23

I'm not sure it's the plan either. The DS Lite was in short supply and then people were clamouring for the DS Lite Onyx when it came out. My feeling is that demand will still be greater than Nintendo's ability to keep up. At last count, they were at 400k per month, and the estimates for the holiday season (for other consoles) are usually twice the non-holiday month numbers, IIRC. If they needed 800k to 1.2M for the month from Thanksgiving to Xmas, could they really supply that many? I'm doubtful, but then I'm not privy to their inventory numbers. :^)

By Blogger jvm, at 26 October, 2006 00:11

Yep, both of those examples were arguably new flavors of DS. And in both of those cases, if you simply had to have a DS, you could get one, right? So nothing close to your headline, "sold-out system... Nintendo DS". And imagine how silly a headline like, "Sold out system, DS Fuscia" would read.

So sure, there could be another limited/special edition, aka "careful manipulation" in the form of false scarcity, but in this case, I doubt the difference will be much more than DS Lite Oynx vs. not.

The DS is not this year's cabbage patch kid, and I don't see the DS being sold out.

By Blogger rufbo, at 26 October, 2006 11:14

The DS Lite has been sold out for some time now. Curmudgeon Gamer made the right prediction here.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 17 January, 2007 00:07

For whatever reason, they didn't sell out near me. The local Toys R Us had quite a few, though they did sport a disproportionate number of the pinks (coral?).

By Blogger rufbo, at 17 January, 2007 00:27