- Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - There are so many things packed into this trailer. The monologue itself is mesmerizing, with a big handful of interesting ideas -- nanomachines in soldiers preventing them from shooting their commanders, global conflicts run by corporations, biomechanical military "creatures" who massacre a group of humans and then appear to defecate on the battlefield. Kojima's vision for a possible future is striking and, like a good tease, leaves me wanting to see more as soon as possible. The trailer also demonstrates the kind of technological power that Sony wants the public to associate with the PlayStation 3.
See it here (Quicktime). Or just hit any of the "15 minute" trailer links here.
- Silent Hill 2 - Before this game came out, I remember watching this trailer numerous times and trying to figure out what the pieces all meant. It's all there: an ominously sick cough, a man carrying a woman's limp body in his arms, a young woman staring at the knife she's holding, bizarre creatures with grotesque movements, and the odd bits of dialogue ("I'm not your Mary"). Having played through the game essentially twice, I now watch the trailer to revisit the odd mixture of emotions I had while playing. Certainly one of the most mature games I've ever played -- in the real sense of the word, not the ESRB rating sense. And, like the original Silent Hill before it, the theme music is essential to nailing the tone.
See it here.
- Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War - This is a game I haven't played, but the trailer has lots of little bits that intrigue me. The introduction about the three types of aces is a nice hook, I think. Then cut among the bits of combat you'll see a whole cast of characters flash by in the middle of the trailer. I want to play the game just to see who they are and how they fit into a game that is, essentially, an air combat arcade game. The footage is well cut for the energetic music track. Then everything comes to a head at the end with the narrator giving one last line, an unfinished thought, perhaps the beginning of an epic story.
See it here.
My favorite trailers would have to be:
1. Psychonauts - This was just a really funny trailer that captured the feel of psychonauts well
2. Disgaea - Tsunami bomb song and 5 minutes of insane attacks, how can you go wrong.
I'd have to say The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. The '04 E3 had an awesome trailer that gave me goosebumps, but this one is fan-made and just as good.
And Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Xbox) was one of my all-time favorite games, so the sequal trailer was like crack to me.
I should mention that I really like AC0's cutscenes, they are the single best cut-scenes I've ever seen in a game. Also, why the hell won't mobygames accept my AC0 game submission?
I got the chills watching GTA: San An. Pretty much because the thing starts out with Guns N Roses "Welcome to the Jungle" same thing happen with Saints Row thou. Just because my favorite Band is the BRONX and there not very main stream. Shock then happyness for that one. i guess all i care about is the music used.