11 September 2006
More wrong must be better
Sony's going to stick more crap in the PSP retail box and hope more people jump on board. I don't have any feel for how that will work out, although my gut tells me that selling the base system cheap and letting people add the extras later would be better. Then there's this:
During the meeting with analysts, Sony also said that it would market the PSP's non-gaming capabilities more aggressively.
Good heavens. Give up on the PSP being some ueber-iPod already. Focus on what you do (or at least have done) best and give us a PSP that lives up to its potential as a game machine.

Agreed. Stick with what you know.

If you spread yourself too thin, you become vulnerable. Did people buy PS2's because they could play DVD's? Of course not, it's an added benefit, so why would people buy a PSP to listen to MP3's when they have an iPod that can do it so much better?

It was designed to be a gaming device, they need to fully support it as such.

By Blogger Bigelow, at 11 September, 2006 21:26

I'd say it's a bit more nuanced. I *did* buy the PS2 because it was a DVD player. It helped me justify the purchase to myself and (perhaps more importantly) to my wife.

What Sony did *not* do is keep hawking the PS2 as a DVD player. They pushed it relentlessly as a game machine. The provided functionality (updated DVD drivers, which I needed to play some DVDs) but didn't treat it as a primary selling point that drew attention away from the gaming angle.

So, even if someone bought a PSP because they thought they might occasionally watch a movie on it, the analogue here would be for Sony to push keep the main function fully fed (games) while occasionally tossing some updates out there for the movie-watching crowd. Or something like that.

By Blogger jvm, at 11 September, 2006 21:33

A LOT of people bought the ps2 for the dvd player portion, apparently when it came out it was cheaper than many dvd players.

By Blogger Zachary, at 11 September, 2006 22:28

OBOY! You mean I get a PSP _and_ a 32MB USB Drive! _AND_ a poorly manufactured PSP pleather game holder and some goop that supposedly cleans the screen?

WOOT! I'm a happy Sony Addict :)

Too much sarcasm today.

By Blogger Neuraljazz, at 12 September, 2006 12:50

I don't think you can draw analogies between the PS2's success for having a DVD drive and the PSP's success for having media capabilities. The PS2 was as good at playing DVD's as any other player out there (unless perhaps you were a videophile). The PSP, however, doesn't come close to meeting the functionality or capability of a video iPod, or really any player with a large flash capacity. When you bought a PS2, you weren't getting a so-so DVD player, but if you go with a PSP, you are getting a so-so media device compared to your other options. I agree, either games should have first and foremost been the way this thing was made desirable, with the other media serving as a bonus, or its media capabilities should have been upgraded considerably so it would compete with rivals on a more secure footing.

By Blogger BruceC, at 12 September, 2006 14:04

I know someone that used his PS2 as his DVD player. (He won it, so he technically didn't buy it for a DVD player.)

I know another who got a PS2 for both gaming and DVD use.

As well, I know a few kids were given PS2s by their parents so that they'd have both a game system and a DVD player.

As for the PSP, it reminds me of a joke about the early marketing of the system, that Sony knew the PSP wasn't worth buying as a game system and needed some other hook.

(I particularly liked one of the first PSP commercials, where a PSP was tossed from person to person, each putting it to a different use. I thought it a bit weird, as it could also be seen as each person throwing the PSP away because it wasn't good enough for any of the individual uses.)

By Anonymous Baines, at 12 September, 2006 21:31

I own a PSP, and I use it as much for music and video as I do for games. That being said, I love the games I have for it. Exit is one of the most enjoyable puzzle games I have ever played, and Having a portable Virtua Tennis that looks and feels just like the version I have for my Dreamcast is great. The machine can do more than play games and it can do it well. I just don't get why so many people rag on it just because it isn't a fisher-price looking games-only piece of Nintendrek.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12 September, 2006 23:28

fisher-price looking games-only piece of Nintendrek

Obivious you've overlooked the practical value of the Game Boy Camera and printer.

By Blogger rufbo, at 12 September, 2006 23:36