06 September 2006
Eyeing the PSP release calendar until 2007...
Will there be anything for the PSP worth putting on my Xmas list this year? I ran through a list of releases until 2007 and these are the games that caught my eye (roughly in order of release):
  • Myst - I never really played the original. Maybe it'd make a good handheld game?
  • Bubble Bobble Evolution - I am not convinced that 3D Bubble Bobble is a good idea. The screenshots I've seen don't look horribly promising. Available as an import now, but I haven't heard anyone talk about it.
  • WTF - Not an online exclamation but a minigame collection. Sounds like a PSP exclusive and designed for a handheld, but I'm going to read a few reviews first.
  • Powerstone Collection - Enjoyed playing one of the Powerstone games (not sure which) on the Dreamcast against Daniel over at Epic when I visited a few times. Not sure how fun it'd be solo.
  • Ace Combat X - I'm a sucker for Ace Combat, but I'm doubtful they'll ever top Ace Combat 2 and Ace Combat 04.
  • Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories - The trailer is beautiful. I should finish Liberty City first...
  • Capcom Classics Collection Reloaded - With all three games in the Ghosts 'n Goblins series, a pile of shooters, the Street Fighter II series, and some hack 'n' slashers, could be fun. But why does it cost $10 more than the PS2 version?
  • Capcom Puzzle World - Only five games? Booooring. But when it hits discount...
  • Metal Slug Anthology - Mildly interesting. I played the GBA Metal Slug, my first of that series, and it was...ok.
  • Every Extend Extra - Good word of mouth. I don't understand everything I've seen in the trailer, but it's shiny and pretty and mesmerizing and shiny and pretty.
  • Sega Genesis Collection - Yes, I'm a sucker for these. Bite me.
  • Thrillville - Sounds light on micromanagement and heavy on quick games. That's what the PSP needs.
  • Dungeons & Dragons Tactics - I'm still not sold on the whole "tactics" idea, but a decently engaging dungeon crawl would be fun.
Except for WTF and EEE I don't see anything particularly unique here for the PSP. What a shame.

To further deflate the already almost empty 'original PSP content' notion, Every Extend was originally a fairly fun little PC game a couple of years or so back. A little googling would probably bring it up for a sampling, which I recommend. I don't know what's being added for the PSP version, but Q Entertainment is handling the conversion, and Mizuguchi's pretty adept with puzzlers so it could get better.

By Blogger BruceC, at 07 September, 2006 14:20

I have a PSP, and I don't see why you constantly piss all over the software. As long as it's a good, solid, fun game, I don't care if it's groundbreaking. If I'm taking a few minutes on my lunch hour to play, the only thing that matters is fun. Get over yourself.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 08 September, 2006 07:40

Anon: My opinion has no effect on your happiness. Yours has no effect on my displeasure. Deal.

By Blogger jvm, at 08 September, 2006 08:55

Snarky.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 08 September, 2006 09:38

Myst can be bought in collection format for both the PC and Mac for reasonable prices. Is the PSP version such a collection?

So WTF is the name they chose for Baito Hell? Arguably more accurate than the one time expected "Byte Hell". I'm not sure how much I'd like a sarcastic/parody WarioWare clone though.

By Anonymous Baines, at 08 September, 2006 18:44

Baines: Appears to be just the original Myst. I think they could have done more, but the PSP is such an iffy platform that I can understand why publishers are gunshy.

By Blogger jvm, at 08 September, 2006 21:34

just get a ds already. There's tons of interesting software.

As a serious gamer, I don't understand why you don't own both.

FYI: my favorite recent psp game was loco roco. I believe it just came out in the US two weeks ago.

By Anonymous adrian, at 09 September, 2006 20:24

Adrian: It's coming, do not worry. After the DS Lite was announced, I wanted to wait until after June to get one (for financial reasons). Then things got busy and I didn't have time to make the jump. Then they announced the black ... Onyx, whatever ... DS Lite, so I'm waiting on that. But, financially it'll be easier for me to wait until the end of October. So, we wait.

As I've said to Ruffin before, I take the long view on these things. I'll eventually get to play everything I want to play, so ultimately I'm in no rush.

Besides...what would I complain about if it weren't for the PSP? :^D

By Blogger jvm, at 09 September, 2006 21:19

there's a loco roco demo on gamespot btw

By Anonymous adrian, at 10 September, 2006 23:02