27 July 2006
What's missing from this article?
I ended up reading this Eurogamer interview with Mark Rein of Epic via Joystiq and realized something important was missing. Can you spot it?

The answer is that Epic provides middleware for Sony's PlayStation 3 developer's kit (PDF). So that's a potential conflict of interest. Rein might say things are going swell and that we can expect "great results" from not just Epic but other developers as well...because some of those developers just might be using the Unreal Engine. Or he might be perfectly sincere that Sony's doing well by developers, regardless of Epic's stake. Or it might be somewhere between.

Most folks reading that story would never guess that Epic has a stake in the PlayStation 3 developer situation. It's the reporter's responsibility to tell them.

Labels: ,

It's probably worth making the distinction that just because he's professionally invested in the PS3, it doesn't neccessarily mean he's lying about the great performance.

By Blogger Martin, at 27 July, 2006 12:03

Fair enough, I'll adjust the language of the post.

My point should have been made more clear: How about the "journalist" noting that there is a potential conflict of interest? Pretty standard responsibility on his part.

By Blogger jvm, at 27 July, 2006 12:56

It is a very interesting interview, btw. Except for the lame explanation for having called the Wii "gimmicky", I was impressed. About two-thirds of the interview he's talking up Microsoft, not PS3 (or Wii, etc), including Xbox 360, Vista, and retail changes. A nice positive corporate spin overall, but I particularly enjoyed his ire against Intel and its integrated graphics. It is somewhat sad that ATi's Radeon integrated graphics won't be teaming up with Intel on new projects.

At least in the interview as a whole (not the subsequent report Matt talks about), the clarification doesn't seem obviously lacking. Very pro-MS, slightly negative Wii (implied), and the PS3 advert waits for the last two minutes or so.

But not one mention that Apple's Quartz Extreme was doing 3d techs on the desktop long before Vista! ;^) Conspiracy!

By Blogger rufbo, at 27 July, 2006 16:19

Well Epic now provides middleware for just about everyone. I'm not saying that makes him honest - but I'd think his exaggerations are probably spread about equally.

Rein's good people though - he's not always accurate, but I don't think he's dishonest.

By Blogger Josh, at 27 July, 2006 20:02

Just to make it clear, again: Rein can say whatever he wants. Maybe he'll say the Unreal Engine cures warts and eliminates email spam. I don't care. But the journalist should give the man's comments some context and let the reader (or in the case of the audio, listener) make up his/her mind.

By Blogger jvm, at 27 July, 2006 21:53

I agree about the journalist part. I stopped reading all these interviews and stuff years ago, when it became all too apparent that the questions these people get asked are softer than a puppy lying in a bed of marshmallows.

Coincidentially, this is the second article criticising Eurogamer i've read this week.

By Blogger Martin, at 28 July, 2006 06:01

Seriously, the Eurogamer interview (with audio and video, no less) seems quite good, and doesn't succumb to the temptation of becoming fluff nor poorly contexted. As I remarked, I found the growth in the prevalence of Intel integrated graphics a very pointed critique that I could appreciate, especially with my Mac bias (with the consumer models ditching real video chips with the move to Intel).

So perhaps Eurogamer "print" sux0rz, but EGTV seems to have done a good job bringing us a useful, interesting interview.

And it also appears that ATi isn't dropping Intel support. I hope they can nose in here and there with integrated video, as my X200 integrated is really quite good for the price.

By Blogger rufbo, at 28 July, 2006 17:07