25 July 2006
Finally, PSP Greatest Hits
According to, I can now get a new copy Ape Escape: On the Loose for $19.99 as part of a Greatest Hits system. The other four colon-decorated titles in the program are ATV: Offroad Fury: Blazin' Trails, Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee, Twisted Metal: Head On, and Wipeout Pure.

I've said many times that Hot Shots Golf is great stuff. The other titles don't do much for me. I'm even an avowed Twisted Metal fan, but TM:HO is weak. Wipeout is fine, but I can't really recommend it if you've already played your fill of the previous games.

More games are slated to be added, but nothing terribly interesting to me yet. Maybe the Tony Hawk game, but I need to check reviews to see how well it controls.

One thing that's interesting about Sony's Greatest Hits line is that it doesn't make me want to buy the cheaper games. There are tons of titles in the Greatest Hits program on the PlayStation 2 and I can't bring myself to drop $20 on them. In fact, seeing them for $20 makes me want to find a used game store and hunt down a $10 copy. In a sense, it just pushes my expectation of what I should pay further down the scale.

I do hope that Sony doesn't insist on hideous packaging when they republish the old games with Greatest Hits labeling. I truly despise the garish evil green they used to defile the PSOne Greatest Hits packages. Admittedly, the blood red on the PlayStation 2 Greatest Hits games is better, but I'd rather the marking be a bit more subtle.

Greatest Hits titles still serve you after a fashion, as they push down the prices of the used games.

There are also people who are willing to pay a few dollars more (when it really is only a few dollars) to get a new copy of a game versus and old copy. I'll pay $20 to get a Greatest Hits from a Wal-mart versus $15 to get a tattered manual, sticked box and somewhat scratched used copy from an EB.

And sometimes there really is a difference between the Greatest Hits version and the original. Didn't the GH of Ico add something? And the GH of Silent Hill 2? The GH of one of the DBZ fighters added the option to select the Japanese voices. Then of course you get the alternatives, like the GH of Metroid Prime removing some of the shortcuts you could take.

GH/non-GH differences are another factor when it comes to used games as well, as you aren't necessarily sure the disc you get is going to match the box. (Heck, I just recently tried to buy VF4:Evolution at an EB, only to be given the original VF4. Either they'd sold the last copy of Evo to someone buying VF4, or they had taken a trade-in that had VF4 in an Evo box.)

By Anonymous Baines, at 26 July, 2006 04:24

All good points, Baines. The $20 price does push down the used games, and that's where I usually find myself. I haven't yet bought a really bad looking used PlayStation 2 or GameCube game, although I have bought one without a manual. The cases do sometimes have stickers, etc., but as long as they have the game case insert , a manual (which is usually in good condition, in my experience), and a disc that's not been abused, then I don't see why I shouldn't grab the used copy.

Now, when they change the game, that's another situation. I haven't yet gotten into those variations, but as a Silent Hill fan I am bothered that my original copy of Silent Hill 2 doesn't have the Maria minigame. I may get that one someday. I do plan to get the VF4E version, and considered trading my original in for credit toward such, but they only wanted to give me $3 in credit for the used game, so I figured I'd rather own both than get ripped like that.

By Blogger jvm, at 26 July, 2006 10:57

I don't know what stores in your area are like, but all the stores I've been to around here have the used ps2 and GC games in glass cases, so its always an ordeal to ask the clerk to take out the games you are interested in and check for scratches.

I'm much more confident just paying the extra $5 or so for a new copy, and with the recent trend in bonus content, I usually come out ahead. Its the reason why I didn't buy Metal Gear Solid 3 when it was first released. I felt burned by MGS2, when it was re-released for $20 with bonus content and I payed $50 for the regular. I knew the same was bound to happen with MGS3 (or, worst case, a bare-bones Greatest Hits edition), so I waited, and sure enough, it paid off with Subsistence (which was great).

It just doesn't pay to buy a game now when its released. Its always been the case with PC titles, but I'm glad to see its finally becoming the same way for console games.

By Anonymous Boraxplunder, at 28 July, 2006 09:13

They keep the discs behind the counter and just put out the cases here. I long ago got over worrying about the poor monkey behind the counter who had to track down a pile of games, only to have me turn some away because the discs were scratched. That's the dude's job.

By Blogger jvm, at 28 July, 2006 11:18

Sorry to break the flow of the thread, but I own the PSP version of Tony Hawk's Underground 2, and I can say that it plays just as well as the console versions. As for Greatest Hits games, I buy most of my games as Greatest hits, or out of the bargain bins and 2-packs at Wal-mart or Costco. I sometimes wish I had the first run of some games, due to nicer packaging (i.e. the foil cover for the originl release of Kingdom Hearts), but I just want to play the games. I'd rather pay $29.99 CDN for a 2-pack like R-type Final and Wild Arms 3 than $50 for most games. Of course, at $50 I get about 2 games a year, and there are things like the Atlus RPGs that they deliberately under-produce and don't re-issue that I usually miss out on, but I sometimes luck out and find them used.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 28 July, 2006 13:09

Anon: Good to hear. I like THPS3 on the GBA and I can imagine that it'd be fun on PSP where you don't have the fake 3D...

By Blogger jvm, at 28 July, 2006 13:16

It is the persons job to take out the game, but for the most part, its just always dissapointing. I don't know how many times I've been excited about a cheap copy of Mario Kart DD, only to have the disc be scratched enough for me to turn it down. The most recent used game I got, Eternal Darkness, looked playable, but then about 4 hours in, would just freeze at the exact same spot. Luckily, I was still in my return window, so I got my money back, but its so hard to know if a disc is 100% playable.

I just find it hard to trust used discs after that. I also had it happen a few years ago with Vagrant Story for ps1, I could play it for about 8 hours, and then a game-busting freeze. I got burned on that one, and couldn't do anything about it.

By Anonymous Boraxplunder, at 28 July, 2006 22:32