25 April 2006
Any good reason to keep a PSP at v.2.0 firmware?
No, seriously. I'm thinking of upgrading my PSP to the new 2.7 firmware, since I haven't seen a single homebrew worth the trouble of keeping my PSP at firmware version 2.0. If you know one good reason to stay with 2.0, let's hear it.

Considering the improved performance I have noticed with newer firmware (faster system start, more file formats supported for audio and video), there is no good reason not to update. Go for it!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 26 April, 2006 00:53

There is a version of Nethack for PSP. That could be enough to stay a 2.0 for me, if I had one.

By Blogger JohnH, at 26 April, 2006 02:43

With me it's the opposite.

I haven't found a reason to upgrade yet.

Only thing that would convince me to upgrade is a must-have game that requires higher.

I'm sure as hell never going to use their web browser, or use their tv stuff, or use it for playing audio.

It's like they are dangling a carrot but i don't like vegetables.

By Anonymous adrian, at 26 April, 2006 05:29

I wonder... would PSP owners be getting all these firmware features if it weren't for Sony's attempts to stamp out holes in their lockout system?

By Blogger JohnH, at 26 April, 2006 13:05

@adrian: The web browser and streaming RSS audio feeds are some of the best features of the PSP. The PSP is less a game only device and more of a portable software platform. Now if they would just open it up so people could actually (legally) write third party software for it.

@Curmy: The Flash player added to this patch is a nice addition and will allow some functionality that previously did not work. Don't expect to be playing flash games on it for the time being though. Sadly it is an older version of flash and runs really choppy for larger apps. WTG Sony. =|

The other new features though minor are helpful additions and the patch seems stable.

By Anonymous Unk, at 26 April, 2006 14:32

Then there's the "sell homebrew-capable PSP on eBay and buy a brand new one" option. I guess the value of a 2.0 system might only go up, if 2.7 proves hackerproof for a month or two.

By Blogger jvm, at 26 April, 2006 20:42

Firmware 2.0 can be downgraded to 1.5 so you can play all homebrew. Just google mph psp downgrader 2.0.

By Blogger Me2U, at 05 May, 2006 21:33

Me2U: Thanks for missing the point.

By Blogger jvm, at 05 May, 2006 21:43