23 March 2006
Revolution virtual console wishlist
Here's a place for dorks to daydream about the games they want on the Revolution's virtual console service. I'll start, random order:
  • Akumajo Dracula X: Chi no Rondo - TG16
  • Starflight - Genesis
  • Herzog Zwei - Genesis
  • Dune 2 - Genesis
  • Devil Crush - TG16
  • Earthworm Jim 2 - Genesis
  • Castlevania: Bloodlines - Genesis
  • Toe Jam & Earl - Genesis
  • Bomberman '94 - TG16
  • Zero Wing - Genesis :^)
I'll add more as I get them. What're you hoping for?

They made a Starflight II for Genesis? The original game is absolutely awesome, a rare case of a console adaptation of a PC game that actually works great. (King's Bounty is another.)

All the games on jvm's list is on my own (except maybe Dune, but that's more from ignorance than any comment on the game's content). Todd's Adventures in Slime World is also on my Genesis list, as is King's Bounty.

On the TG-16 (wow, it's been ages since I really thought about them)....
Blazing Lazers is a must, probably the Compile shooter to get closest to wide U.S. recognition. There's a couple of classic Bonk games for the system, as well as a multiplayer Bomberman version or two. Galaga '91 would be a must-own, if Galaga '88 hadn't been on the Namco 50th Anniversary disk.

This is just a start, I'm gonna have to think hard about this one.

By Blogger JohnH, at 23 March, 2006 20:55

Fixed the Starflight typo.

For those who don't know, King's Bounty was the prototype for the Heroes of Might and Magic games. Apparently it was a Mac game and was included on the CD of HOMM1 for Mac. See here for more info.

By Blogger jvm, at 23 March, 2006 21:02

All of the games previously mentioned would be wonderful, but here's what i'd add:

Alien Storm
Mega Bomberman
Landstalker
Shining Force I and II

Oh, and who could forget Rolo to the Rescue, which I seem to remember was about an kid elephant and a group of his animal mates trying to save the little elephant's mummy.

By Blogger Martin, at 24 March, 2006 04:35

Regarding King's Bounty:

It is also available on the HOMM Platinum collection for Windows (which had I,II, and III). But more significantly, the PS2 game Heroes of Might and Magic: Quest for the Dragonbone Staff, available in a bargain bin near you for cheep, is King's Bounty with souped-up graphics.

Although "souped-up" here means in relation to the original King's Bounty, not to the PS2: they are not really up to standard. Nonetheless, it scratches the King's Bounty/early HOMM itch quite nicely. (My wife, who _loves_ Heroes, has always wished for it on a console, which she prefers for games than the awkward PC-on-a-desk-not-made-for-people-to-watch-together.)

By Blogger Bob, at 24 March, 2006 07:51

Definitely a +1 for landstalker.

Although I remember someone mentioning a 3d remake of that.
(http://psp.ign.com/articles/648/648551p1.html)

Speaking of which, does anyone know what happened to the localized version of the sega2500 remake(s) of phantasy star?

Another game I'd like to play again would be Faerie Tale Adventure, which had the single longest dungeon of any game i've ever played. I was lost in it for 3 days. and i had a map. I was like 12 though =)

And Ring of Power(!). Which is what Naughty Dog made before they made platformers.

I also wouldn't mind playing through Crusader of Centy (also known as Soleil) again.

By Anonymous adrian, at 24 March, 2006 09:57

The Shining Forces are pretty good, yep, they're kind of like Fire Emblem for non-sadists. The first one got a hard-to-find remake for GBA.

Landstalker is also very good, although a little hard to control. I was always kind of disappointed that Climax never made another game with Nigel, at least until Timestalkers, which is not at all like the original game.

There are several remakes of old Sega games that are only available in Japan, that's probably what happened to any Phantasy Star remake, it never made it out here.

I've always been partial to the classic Genesis puzzler Junction, but that might just be 'cause I'm fairly good at it. Hmm.

By Blogger JohnH, at 24 March, 2006 12:39

Not saidists, sorry, masochists.

By Blogger JohnH, at 24 March, 2006 12:43

Oh, I also forgot to comment upon Rings of Power, which I played a bit of once. I thought it was interesting, had an unusually detailed backstory, but its interface was way, way too clunky and slow. (By the way, it contains an easter egg on the opening screen that lets you take the shirt of the young woman in their logo....)

Of course the original Phantasy Star games (none of this online or card battle crap) need to be made available, that's a given. The second game, while low on story compared to a Final Fantasy game perhaps, has a plot twist in it that still probably rates among the most shocking of any RPG.

(Going through the GameFAQ listings....)

General Chaos is a rather cool "team sports" approach to front-line combat by the Game Refuge (various flavors of Rampage, and I think Xenophobe as well) people. Considering they were the guys who made Pigskin, it was probably only a small step from there to making an actual combat game.

They eventually made three Golden Axe games for Genesis. I'm not too fond of the first (the arcade version is just so much better), but having the later ones could be nice.

Of course, one can't forget Gunstar Heroes.

Pheilos is an unusually polished Namco vertical shooter I enjoyed once.

Some people enthuse about the Shinobi games, but it's never appealed to me personally. Similarly, I own MUSHA for the Genesis, a supposedly-rare game, but despite it being a Compile shooter I never got into it -- I was expecting another Zanac, but it just wasn't.

On the Turbografx side of things, they made a blatant Zelda clone called Neutopia that'd be fun to try out.... Dungeon Explorers also looks like it might be fun, in a Gauntletly kind of way.

By Blogger JohnH, at 24 March, 2006 19:07