20 November 2005
jvm's Xmas 2005 Wishlist
Here are the games I'm asking for this year, roughly in order of preference.
  • Shadow of the Colossus, PlayStation 2
  • Katamari Damacy, PlayStation 2
  • Resident Evil 4, PlayStation 2
  • Taito Legends, PlayStation 2
  • Psychonauts, PlayStation 2
  • Ultimate Spider-man, GameCube
  • Mario vs. Donkey Kong, GameBoy Advance
  • Metroid Zero Mission, GameBoy Advance
Notable: No PSP games. I've got Liberty City Stories which is the only new game that interests me.

The new Castlevania for PS2 might make it after I play this demo disc that Sony sent. Any other recommendations?

If anyone wants to get me a Nintendo DS, feel free. That new 2D Castlevania looks good.

I like your list... I have a number of these games and all are great. I've been buying games since the days of the Atari 2600 and Shadow of the Colossus is one my most memorable gaming experiences of all time.

Only thing I can add is MarioKart DS. It's a must have!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 21 November, 2005 09:21

Ultimate Spiderman for the 'Cube is a good game, but I found it unbelievably short. If you've played Spiderman 2, you're not missing much except better production values, and a weaker physics engine.

Katamari Damacy is one of the best games I have played in years, and I highly recommend it to everybody.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 21 November, 2005 12:08

Katamari Damacy is the biggie on here. It's tempting to discount it because of a rather large amount of bloghype, but it really is amazingly cool. Fun for kids to watch too....

Taito Legends has more than one flavor of Bubble Bobble, and one or two of the usually-underrated Space Invaders sequels on it. Very nice.

Resident Evil 4 was the first (and will probably be the last) Resident Evil game I've ever played. It was quite cool, although I don't know if I agree with the massive hype built around it... I probably would have enjoyed it more a couple of years ago.

Mario vs. Donkey Kong I wasn't too excited about, being basically an update of the GBC Donkey Kong game from some years ago.

Metroid: Zero Mission is the best non-Katamari thing on the list that I have substantial information on. I've already blabbed entirely too much about that in prior comments on this site, however.

Shadow of the Colossus seems to be cool from what I've read, but I've yet to even see it running, let alone play it.

By Blogger JohnH, at 22 November, 2005 06:15

I can vouch for the quality of the Castlevania DS title. It was the first game I got when I bought my ds a month ago and only Mario Kart DS has had the power to make me want another game before I'm finished with it.

Any fan of Symphony of the Night/GBA Castlevanias will enjoy it.

Mario Kart DS is also worth the money. Singleplayer is very good, and the online matches only sweeten the deal.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 22 November, 2005 21:21

Rumor today was that DS might be $99 in December. If that's true, it makes getting Castlevania DS much, much closer for me. :^)

By Blogger jvm, at 22 November, 2005 21:34

Why choose the PS2 port of RE4 instead of the GameCube version?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 24 November, 2005 00:17

I prefer the PS2 controller, so unless advised otherwise (as in the case of Ultimate Spider-man) I'll go for a PS2 version of a game.

By Blogger jvm, at 24 November, 2005 00:20