22 October 2005
Ace Combat and Dual Analog Flight Stick

Back in the era of the original PlayStation, Sony made a dual analog flight stick for use with flight sims and some other games. As you can see in the picture at the right, it was a pretty giant piece of hardware. My recollection is that it retailed for around $80, which put it out of my price range.

However, with my recent interest in Ace Combat, I figured I might see what they were going for lately. Turns out, pretty cheap, and I got mine for around $15 (plus shipping).

Playing Ace Combat 2 is a real challenge with these sticks. During my first mission with the sticks, I flew mostly like a crazed drunk. By the time I played the second, however, I made a much better show of it. With practice, I think I could fly a tiny bit better with them than with a standard Dual Shock controller, since the dual flight stick offers an analog throttle.

What really makes me angry, however, is that neither Ace Combat 04 nor Ace Combat 5 support this controller. I can't imagine that there are that many games that could really benefit from a flight stick of this type on the PlayStation or PlayStation 2, except flight games, and I would be surprised if Namco weren't in on the design of the original controller. So, why leave it out? Strikes me as just plain lazy.

Then again, it could be money. Not that it cost a lot to support this old controller, but rather that Namco made their own flight stick which was sold alongside Ace Combat 5. Those packages were about $100 at retail.

Do you mind if I ask you, are these controls dual shock compatable? thank you for your time.

-Norm

By Blogger norm, at 21 November, 2005 19:43

The dual analog sticks predate the Dual Analog Pad (which predates the Dual Shock), so anything that requires that particular type of controller probably won't work with this stick.

It has no force feedback and, from my understanding, uses a different protocol from the Dual Analog Pad and the Dual Shock.

Hope that helps.

By Blogger jvm, at 21 November, 2005 19:53

yes, it does. thank you very much.

By Blogger norm, at 15 December, 2005 16:47

But it should still work with an emulator and the proper USB adapter, right?

By Anonymous arrowone, at 19 July, 2006 03:08

arrowone: Depends on what you mean. If you mean flight stick, USB adaptor, PSOne emulator, and Ace Combat 2 or Ace Combat 3, then yes it should work.

By Blogger jvm, at 19 July, 2006 05:57

Play COLONY WARS with this thing.
games like Colony Wars and CW Vengeance are what the Flightstick was designed for.
every single control you need is mapped out perfectly.
I stil have mine. I got mine for $60 from the WIZ just before they got killed by Circuit City and Best Buy.

I love it. My only dissapointment was that WARHAWK didn't support analoge.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 19 August, 2006 18:26

Play COLONY WARS with this thing.
every single control you need is mapped out perfectly.

I love it. My only dissapointment was that WARHAWK didn't support analoge.

Http://members.blackplanet.com/gracefulcobra/

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 19 August, 2006 18:27

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 19 August, 2006 18:27

dslcobra@yahoo.com

The Flightstick did not work with any game that didn't support dual analog. In digital mode for games like Warhawk, it was WORTHLESS which is dissapointing because Warhawk used 6 axises of control like a helicopter.
The flightstick would have been great for Helicopter simulators

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 19 August, 2006 18:30